Areas of Focus (by year)
Who We Are
- The Scripps Family Impact Fund was created as a partnership between the 4th and 5th generations of the Scripps family, with hopes that it will be a fixture of family affairs for generations to come.
- We are a large and diverse family that seeks to combine our resources and invest in “big-impact” charitable projects.
- We are proud of our long and rich history in media and philanthropy and we seek to carry on the legacy of generations past by addressing a wide range of issues and causes.
Why We Created It
- We launched the Scripps Family Impact Fund in 2018 as a fresh way to collaborate with our extended family.
- We wanted to coordinate our giving in a way that could have a material “impact” on worthy organizations.
- The board is composed entirely of members of the family’s fifth generation, and we desire to have a positive influence on the world around us.
How it Works
- 1st Grant applications are solicited by board and family members, consistent with the themed focus of that year’s cycle.
- 2nd After thorough research, the board narrows the list of candidates to three, all of which are asked to submit a brief video about their organization.
- 3rd Family members are asked each Spring to donate to a pool. After reading the grant submissions and watching the videos, donors indicate which organization (or organizations) they favor to receive their contributions.
Who We're Looking to Partner with
- Large or small, new or old…
- If you’re a registered 501c3 public charity and have an effective solution to a worldly problem, and your organization fits into this year’s giving cycle, then you might be the next partner for us.
We seek to build upon the family’s enduring charitable legacy by helping worthy nonprofits make an even bigger difference.
Unleashing our collective power to help others by combining our passions and pocketbooks with the collaborative energy that the family has harnessed since 1878 to make communities stronger.
Questions we’ve heard from nonprofits
The 2023 cycle is the fifth year for the Scripps Family Impact Fund (SFIF) and we are focusing on journalism and media arts for middle and high school students. Our board seeks to avoid any controversial funding, so any project that is related to any politically sensitive or divisive subject, for example, is not likely to receive funding from the SFIF.
We are using a grants management software platform and expect to open the invitations by the end of January 2023. Invitees will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Grant applications are to be completed and submitted within the system by February 28, 2023. The board will narrow the list of prospective recipients to three and then ask the funders to contribute to the SFIF. We expect to notify the three finalists in May. In late June, the grant amounts will be assigned following a vote by the funders.
Application is by invite only and will be offered to public charities that are recognized by the Internal Revenue Service pursuant to IRC section 501(c)(3).
Members of our family have a long history of supporting philanthropic causes, and we are proud to continue that legacy. What we want to see accomplished will change from one year to the next, but the shared goal that motivates all of us is that our joint effort will make a material difference in the mission of a cause that is easy for all of us to rally around.